Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Santa Dilemma

 I should start by saying that if by some chance you are under 13 years old, you won't like this blog post. This post is your worst nightmare. We're talking monsters, homework, mowing the lawn, politics. Trust me, you'd be much better off pounding your head against a brick wall than reading this post. Run away while you still can.

Are they gone?

Great. Let's talk Santa Claus.
In elementary school I was always a believer. I remember insisting point blank that Santa had been to my house, no question about it. I refused to believe he wasn't real. I can't pinpoint the day I figured out the truth, but I do remember thinking about the sleigh with the reindeer and suddenly realizing how silly it sounded. How impossible it would be for reindeer to fly. I think that's why last Christmas wasn't quite as magical as all the others had been, and I remember feeling disappointed that that part of my childhood was over.

But of course, what could I do? With two younger brothers in my house I had to keep my mouth shut. There was one time when my parents asked me if I knew, and it was all very surreal. Now that i've been let into the secret, to talk of Santa Claus's realness has become rather taboo. I've never been able to ask my parents how they do it exactly. I've guessed that they don't always buy the presents together, so they can be genuinely surprised when we show them some of our gifts. I suppose there are some times when I could've asked them about the intricacies of preparing Christmas morning, but it seems like talking about it would just lessen the magic even more. Being naturally sarcastic, I worry that i'll be the one to give away the Santa charade.

All this came to my mind as we crept downstairs Christmas morning, ripped open the one large present under the tree and found a shining red Nintendo Wii. I couldn't have been more surprised if a baby had popped out, started to tap dance and sung the national anthem. My parents had always insisted that there was no way in a million years that we would ever, ever own a game system. And for me, i'd accepted that long ago. Besides, we have neighbors a block away with every game system imaginable, so my brothers and I often traipse over to their house after completing our homework. So naturally, I was rather shocked. My parents like to quote how I said "We haven't been THIS good!"

But now I had a million questions. What had changed their minds? What had spurred them to go against everything they'd ever said and buy us a Wii? But naturally, I had to hold my tongue and exclaim about Santa's kindness and good will with the boys. I tried to see if I could get something out of my parents by whispering comments to them about why Santa had brought us a Wii, but to no avail.

It did get me thinking though. What about when I have kids? What am I supposed to tell them? On one hand, I'm sure Christmas would be just as magical without all the secrecy. Is Santa a Christmas lie? It seems like a rather sinful thing to do on Jesus's birthday. Then again, the magic of Christmas was wonderful while it lasted, and I won't forget the wonder of listening for sleigh bells and footsteps on the roof.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I've got a long ways to go before I decide, but it's something that I think is going to play on my mind for years to come. But it was rather adorable when I heard one of my tiny relatives say "look what Santa got me!" and show me her little Tinkerbell purse.

Who knows? Perhaps in the near future scientists will build a robotic Santa, and we can all go about Christmas without worrying that our children will find us putting toys in their stockings.

Merry Christmas :)
~Louisa

No comments:

Post a Comment