Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wise Words from a Wee Mouse

Hello! If you are reading this, I have a reader! It also means that you have something to do while deliberately not doing your homework, your holiday shopping, or socializing with people. What a win/win situation! I think that Louisa covered everything in her marvelous introduction to this blog, so I will just get started with my post ere I bore you to death. 

Today my family went to see the latest Narnia movie: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Now, I went to see this at midnight when it premiered because I am a nerd and I am darn proud of it. For those of you who are not as into these books as I am or, even worse, asking yourself "Who is Narnia and why is she looking for someone who walks in the morning?" I am afraid I will have to ask those of you from the latter category to please leave and go back on your MySpace to upload more pictures of your reflection that you took with you phone. Go on. I'll wait. 

Alright. Now that they are gone, the rest of us can continue. Ok, then. Well, I quite frankly grew up on these books. They were more a part of my imaginary games than any television show, doll, or movie. I was Susan in my first play, and it was then that I knew what my passion was in life: acting. I loved this movie, though, as one of my friends who was with me at the midnight showing said, "It was a great movie. If you go into it expecting for it to be word for word like the book, you will be disappointed." If you go to see your favorite characters brought to life or to see a wonderful story of childhood played out before your eyes, you will love it. As my personal favorite Narnian, Reepicheep the mouse, says in the movie, "We have nothing, if not belief." 

These words struck me today as I sat in the almost empty theater with my parents and younger brother. It made me think that Reep was right about belief. I am not a religious person (I am agnostic), but I believe that there is something more out there. I can't prove it at all. Klingons, Heaven, who knows? 

During the rest of the movie, I thought about the idea of belief and came to the conclusion that it plays a more prominent role in our lives than we think. For example, I recently underwent a rather severe knee surgery and, as a result, I am currently in physical therapy. Though I hate physical therapy with the flaming passion of Apollo's chariot, I know that it is for my own good. In the beginning, I had nothing to compare what I was doing to. For all I knew, that was as good as it got. Now, three months later, I am half way done with my physical therapy. If I had curled up in a corner and refused to leave the house, I would still be using a brace that looks like a bad fat suit and crutches that are always cold as ice. Instead, I believed that I could get better. I was not praying or meditating, but something told me that, even though I could barely get out of bed, I would some day run, climb stairs, and bend my knee again. I like to think that this was my belief-filled inner child who, if asked, would still insist that Santa could deliver his gifts to our house even though we have a fake fireplace. 

Whether or not you are thinking of religion, love, or even just getting back in touch with your own  inner child this holiday season, I leave you with this quote: 

Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it.

I am sorry this wasn't a very humorous entry, but it was what I have been thinking about today. 

Louisa, I look forward to reading what you have to say next time.

~Rayna

No comments:

Post a Comment